Wednesday, March 19, 2008

RSS - Week 4 task

Doing the 23 things is very time consuming and confusing. I still have trouble coming up with all the passwords, user names, and email addresses necessary to work online. I find this type of activity eats up time. I've spent four hours on this lesson and I don't know that I've learned all that much. Too much time spent getting to a site, and then fumbling around trying to figure out what comes next.

I've read that many Americans now get their news online - but that's not going to be me. I prefer sources such as the newspaper and the local television news. I don't even care for CNN. It might be an age thing, but I don't like the slick, superficial, and often biased news that is found on cable and online. I looked at Yahoo's RSS blogs that you can subscribe to and I couldn't find one that I wanted. I'd just be deleting them as they clogged up my email. So that was kind of discouraging. But I'm going to persevere - I want to improve my technology skills. Although I'm still amazed so many people find so much online to occupy themselves. I think of my computer as a tool to accomplish work or locate information - I don't think of it as entertainment.

No comments: