Monday, July 21, 2008

Thing 22 - Nings

I visited the Teacher Librarian network and joined two of the library groups listed: (a.)Elementary school librarians and (b.)More things: Applying 2.0 tools. I like the concept of nings: the ability to narrow the focus of the group, the ability to easily add input and learn from others who have similar interests. I'm still working on learning how to manuever through the website (good thing its designed for people who don't have a lot of technical skills).

The Texas School Librarian Ning seemed more like a social group at first glance(rather than a professional one), but I will continue to monitor that. I am looking for input from other librarians about what has worked well for them and what hasn't worked, and not just in a technical sense. At times I have felt somewhat isolated in my position as the only librarian in the school.

This upcoming year will be my sixth year to work as a librarian. I know I can learn a lot from my fellow librarians. When I was a classroom teacher (for fifteen years), I had a lot of support, help, advice, encouragement, etc. from my peers. It was easier to meet with colleagues and share materials, experiences, triumphs and failures. I enjoy being a librarian, and I do communicate using emails and the like with other librarian friends, but it is different being the "only" librarian on the campus. I'm hoping the internet will allow more interaction and sharing amongst educators and fellow librarians.

Nings might also be used for special interest groups on campus or various committees. I suppose the school district could have nings that supported certain causes or positions. I predict that their use will increase in the near future.

No comments: